Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Wed Mar 29
Thu Mar 30
Fri Mar 31
Sat Apr 01
Where to Turn Cleanu...
Sun Apr 02
Mon Apr 03
Tue Apr 04
Why Not Protest in a Positive Way?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Lost Art of Common Sense ( Op Ed )
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Why Not Protest in a Positive Way?
From Dec 08, 2014 to Jan 06, 2015 (included)

In my short lifetime I have seen many things, some good and some bad. I have seen our country split racially, religiously and politically but I have also seen it come together.
On September 11, 2001 America was devastated but not defeated. Families were broken but not destroyed. Our faith was shaken but hope was not lost. With the eyes of the world upon us we pulled ourselves up. Petty prejudices were forgotten. The lines that so often have separated us were forgotten. No one spoke of race, religion or political affiliation. We were one family that had been severely hurt and, we responded as a family. We did not ask how or why we needed to help. We just did. We need not forget how we as a nation responded that day as a nation and we need never forget that every member of our collective family deserves the same treatment today. No tragedy is too small; no trauma to insignificant for it is never too far removed from each and every one of us especially in todayís political climate.
Today I see a country in need of healing. I see too many people trying to split us apart and not enough trying find solutions.
I see too many blaming everyone else for the actions of a few.
I see too many on both sides who just don't want to listen and unfortunately I see too many trying to split us apart when we are at a point as a nation where we really need to be coming together.
I would like to propose a small step to move us in that direction.
Instead of protests why don't we organize mass volunteer efforts to show that we are really searching for a solution.
Instead of die ins why don't we organize cleanups.
Instead marches why do we don't we take these thousands of protestors and work towards positive projects.
Instead of holding up traffic how about building up a community one block at a time.
I am not naive but I do we believe that we need to work together and not follow those who seize any opportunity to pull us apart.
Just imagine what could have accomplished by all the protestors over the past few days. Why canít you state your position while doing something that may help your community? If you do maybe more people will listen and actually get involved in working on a solution.
At least Iím willing to try.

Dennis McKeon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Lost Art of Common Sense ( Op Ed ) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: