Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Tue Apr 25
Wed Apr 26
Thu Apr 27
Fri Apr 28
Sat Apr 29
Sun Apr 30
Mon May 01
Response to SI Advance Postcard's Editorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Response to SI Advance Postcard's Editorial
From Aug 20, 2013 to Aug 24, 2013 (included)

Dear Mr. Laline.

I would appreciate it if you will print the following guest editorial in response to the one you ran today.

It was with great interest that I read your editorial today but unfortunately in your 100% support of the Borough President's position I believe that you missed or decided not to report much of my position.

First my first and primary concern is and always has been the protection of Postcards.

Below is a post of mine from July 7, 2012 about the Wheel

SI Ferris Wheel.....Economic Development and Postcards

http://www.where-to-turn.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=57305

While I am all for economic development on Staten Island it cannot be at the expense of the Postcards 9/11 Memorial which is right next to the planned site of the Ferris Wheel. As you can see by this artist rendition the Memorial is not even being shown. Whatever plans are underway must include placing the Ferris Wheel a safe and respectful distance from the Memorial. (see picture below)

New York Wheel won't detract from Postcards memorial on Staten Island

http://www.silive.com/opinion/editorials/index.ssf/2013/08/new_york_wheel_wont_detract_fr.html

As for your editorial

While I do think that the the Wheel will bring a carnival atmosphere to the site I am more concerned that the massive noisy crowds will rush by Postcards to get to the Wheel and the litter and debris from the crowds will only add to the problem.

People come to this site to peacefully pay respect to their loved ones and I do not believe that it will be possible once the Wheel is built.

I don't think such structures would ever be considered at Pearl Harbor or Gettysburg.

One need only go to Oklahoma City to see how a community protects it's memorial.

We have found that unless concerns are raised prior to construction we wind up with things we later regret.

We have already buried the 9/11 Memorial Museum 7 stories underground but at least we got the victims' names raised to Ground Level.

Not many people realize that the original design had the names at the bottom of the waterfalls.

9/11 Family groups including Where to Turn fought for over 5 years and got the names moved to Ground Level.

The United in Memory 9/11 Victims Memorial Quilt was offered to the Memorial Museum even though they have space for the History of Terrorism they did not have room for it.

That is why we are building a home for it at The Seaview Rehabilitation Campus.

These are things that needed to be done to remember our loved ones and protecting Postcards is one of those things.

I do realize that there is nothing we can do to prevent the planned development.

But I do think that protecting Postcards is more important than just getting The Wheel approved before certain people leave office.

We also need to get concessions from the developers.

How about looking into extending the SI Railway to Snug Harbor?

It may not be possible but it should be considered.

But back to Postcards.

It is too beautiful of a memorial to be treated as an afterthought. (not even in original artist's rendition)

As for your statement that we shouldn't allow piety about 9/11 to stand in the way.

Well piety means respect and the time to respect the Staten Islanders killed on 9/11 will never pass.

Building an attraction to bring off Island tourists might be a good idea but not at the expense of Postcards or those remembered there.

Finally let me state I am all for progress but we must consider the price.

Lest we forget

Dennis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: