Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Thu Jun 22
Fri Jun 23
Sat Jun 24
Sun Jun 25
Mon Jun 26
Tue Jun 27
Wed Jun 28
Wounded Warriors Charity Softball Game 8/5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Wounded Warriors Charity Softball Game 8/5
From Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:00 pm to Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:59 pm (included)

Dear Friend:
I hope this letter finds you well.
Please take a moment to think about this:
F. A charity softball game.
At the Staten Island Yankees home park.
 The chance to raise a lot of money for this nation's wounded heroes. "Oddo's All Stars" versus The Wounded Warriors.
I believe we are on the cusp of crafting a day that will go down in Staten Island history as one of its best and I want you to be a part of it and I need your help.
In March 2002, I stopped at my parents' home one evening to find my father ill on the couch. My mother informed me that he had been sick for most of the day with what she believed was the flu. Within five minutes of my arrival, my father began vomiting blood. I immediately called 911 and within minutes he was taken to Staten Island University Hospital. Soon after, a surgeon explained to my family that because my Dad had been bleeding internally for an extended period of time, he had a reduced blood flow into his extremities and he would lose some tissue as a result. Over the next couple of days as we stared at my father's blackened toes, we were advised to be patient and that the longer we waited, the clearer the demarcation between good and dead tissue and the less of his body would be lost. Unfortunately, my father developed a dementia of sorts and we were suddenly being counseled that his condition had become "life over limb," and within hours my father had his right leg amputated below the knee.
I am the youngest of four sons and I am the first in my family to attend college. My father ingrained in me at a young age the idea that I would get the education that he never had. And for much of my childhood and teen years, my memories of my father are of his working two jobs to provide me the educational opportunities he never had. So, to see the man who was this bulldog, a rock all of my life, physically and mentally devastated by this loss of limb was incredibly difficult to accept and endure.

Last year, HBO's Real Sports aired a segment about the team of wounded veterans who travel the country playing softball to raise money for charity. Obviously, my awareness of, my sensitivity to, and my desire to help amputees has changed since 2002. I watched the segment on Real Sports with equal amounts of sadness, awe, and pride. And I knew I had to try to do something like this on Staten Island. I believe if you watch this segment you will feel the same way that I do. I invite you to watch it at the following website: http://www.hbo.coruireal-sports-with-bryant-gumbel/episodes/0/172- episode/video/wounded-warriors.html.
I think we have an opportunity to do something truly unique. Staten Island, the smallest of New York City's five boroughs, is a little piece of suburbia within the big city. It is home to many types of folks, and although we have some extremely affluent communities, we are a proud blue collar town with middle- and working-class values and sensibilities. Despite all of our faults, including some self- inflicted warts, we unquestionably get one thing correct: we demonstrate our respect and love to our veteran community. From our Memorial Day and historic Fourth of July parades, to our numerous veteran organizations, we are a patriotic lot and our love for this nation has been forged by the sacrifices of young men and women Staten Islanders -- who have gone off to defend this nation overseas. We had our steely resolve toughened by enduring the loss of 274 people in the tragedy of 9/11, a greater loss than perhaps any community in the nation.
During the past several months, my office, along with the wonderful Jane Rogers, General Manager of the Staten Island Yankees, has been in talks with representatp, es from The Wounded Warriors Project and we have arranged a game between my team, "Oddo's All Stars," and members of The Wounded Warrior Project at Richmond County Bank Ball Park on August 5, 2012 at the conclusion of the Staten Island Yankees game against the Lowell Spinners. The Staten Island Yankee game will begin at 4:00 p.m. and the Wounded Warrior game will begin at the conclusion of that game. On that day, the Staten Island Yankees will celebrate Military Appreciation Day.
We are currently in discussions with the Staten Island Yankees on the exact mechanism for raising as much money as possible for the Wounded Warriors Project. That is my goal for this game. I am writing to you to ask that you become a part of this initiative by simply helping me spread the word about the game and, if your schedule permits, possibly attending the game to cheer on the Wounded Warriors team (and also cheering on "Oddo's All-Stars."). Whether you attend yourself or simply tell others about this endeavor, I am truly grateful for your support.
This has all the makings of a special day all around.
Respectfully, I ask that you consider this request. If you would like to learn more about this project, by all means email me directly at ioddo@council.nyc.gov and I will get back to you immediately.
I thank you for your time, courtesy, consideration. All the best,

James Oddo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: