Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Wed Jun 28
Thu Jun 29
Fri Jun 30
Sat Jul 01
Sun Jul 02
Mon Jul 03
Tue Jul 04
Adult Sibling Grief and Continuing Bonds after 9/11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Adult Sibling Grief and Continuing Bonds after 9/11
From May 24, 2012 to May 28, 2012 (included)

Adult Sibling Grief and Continuing Bonds in the aftermath of September 1, 2001 (A Ten Year Journey)

Dear 911 Family Members:

Hello, my name is Vincent Viglione and I am a doctoral candidate for a Ph.D. in Counselor Education and a Licensed Professional Counselor in New Jersey. I am proposing a study about individuals who siblings in the attacks of September 11, 2001. As you know, spouses, children and parents of 9/11 victims have consistently been in the forefront of media reporting and support efforts. 9/11 sibling relationships are rarely, if ever, considered.

This study asks the questions: What is the experience of those who have lost a sibling on 9/11? How have they have coped with their loss over the 10 years following that tragedy? Does the 9/11 community of siblings continue to maintain a primary relationship through the use of Continuing Bonds such as memorials, photographs, musical and artistic expression, poetic representations, planting a tree, lighting a candle, creating a memorial fund or scholarship, wearing a bracelet with the deceasedís name or, even, getting a tattoo?

It seeks further to understand and appreciate the nature, significance and influence of Continuing Bonds that may be created and preserved over this time. Have those bonds evolved during that time in order to conserve their meaning? You needn't answer these particular questions though I fully expect your individual story will likely do so. Participation in this study may elicit painful memories of an extremely difficult time in your life, but it may also allow you to fully process the very personal journey you have been on these past ten years.

Your participation will be in the form of an interview. It will have a conversational tone that will enable me to understand at how 9/11 siblings have worked through the grief process over the last decade, to what degree they have come to terms with their siblingís death, what circumstances may have complicated resolution and the manner in which they were able to keep the memories of their siblings intact.

To participate, you must have been over 21 on 9/11/01 and live in proximity to Northern New Jersey for face-to-face contact. If you agree to participate, you will be given an informed consent form detailing the nature of the study and your part in it, as well as a short demographic questionnaire providing certain background information about you and your sibling (gender, age, race/ethnicity, marital status, etc.). We will then make arrangements to meet for an interview in a private place of your convenience. I estimate that the interview will take approximately 90 minutes. Depending on the quality of responses, there may be a follow up interview of a shorter duration and that may be by phone. Interviews will be audio taped. All information will be kept confidential and anonymous. Responses, forms and audio recordings will not contain your name, but a code instead. The final reporting will bear no identifiable references to you or your sibling. All relevant materials will kept in a locked filing cabinet in my private office and will be seen only by me. Your participation is entirely voluntary and you may withdraw at any time. No one will be aware of your participation unless you personally wish to disclose that information. Proposed start date should be in July 2012 or so.

It may be important for you to know that I worked in the shadow of the Worth Trade Center Twin Towers for 25 years and watched them being built. I, too, have suffered a loss that day which I will share with you if you so desire. I have an interest in your journey both personally and professionally. I appreciate your time and would be happy to answer any questions.

Thank you.
Vincent Viglione LPC
Denville NJ
201-572-7173
vsviglione@optonline.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: