Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Sun Mar 26
Mon Mar 27
Tue Mar 28
Wed Mar 29
Thu Mar 30
Fri Mar 31
Sat Apr 01
Where to Turn Cleanu...
How to Honor the Lost at Ground Zero /Commentary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: How to Honor the Lost at Ground Zero /Commentary
From Apr 20, 2011 to Apr 22, 2011 (included)

To All,

I wrote this response to the commentary today in the Wall Street Journal "How To Honor the Lost at Ground Zero".

I hope you will be able to forward it to your readers/family friends and those who have an interest in this issue as well.

Thank You,

Tom Meehan

----- Original Message -----

To: wsj.ltrs@wsj.com

Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:23 PM

Subject: How to Honor the Lost at Ground Zero /Commentary

Dear Editor,

I read the commentary in today's paper, titled "How To Honor the Lost at Ground Zero.'. It is sad that those who chose to

wear the mantle of leadership, now show such a lack of compassion for those who disagree with their views and decisions,

and yet have shared the burden of the losses of loved ones as well.

For the real question is that of "Who Owns the Dead? " In ten years, and the five years during which these deliberations were reached,

I have have not received one official notice from the Medical Examiner, the 9/11 family groups, or Museum staff,or Mayor's office detailing these decisions.

To read that there was a enormous effort to reach out to the families, and next of kin, I am sure is doubted by those of us who live apart from the city.

None of these groups have the right to decide how the remains are to be reposed, only the next of kin, has that right, it is beyond my comprehension

that they either individually or as a group believed that they had the right to dismiss the rights of the next of kin for this sensitive decision .

An injustice , even if not corrected, should not be forgotten, which is the reason for this letter.

There was no advise and consent offered to the 2,749 families of the deceased to provide a response, surely in 10 years someone has maintained

a contact list. Even the major 9/11 family groups failed to adequately convey the decisions being made, and provide for an informed membership.

Surely these persons (i.e. the 9/11 Collation of Families,The Museum Staff, Medical Examiner, Mayor's Office) are capable of devising a polling

mechanism that would allow the family members to voice their opinion, and advise and consent on the choices they could have offered.

If I had been given a choice between leaving them (the remains) with the ME, returning them to Fresh Kills, or placing that at bedrock, or none of the above,

I perhaps might have reach perhaps one or another decision.- That they belong at bedrock, or my opinion, none of the above.

, But never given that opportunity , we will never know.

As a veteran who served my country, who grew up with the tradition of Duty,Honor,County, I beg to differ with the statements regarding the idea

of a "Tomb of the Unknown". Within he proposed placement of the remains , there is no mention of providing for the religious beliefs of those those lost.

To place them in an un-holy, un-consecrated repository for me is a violation of all the religious tenants I adhere too, and the beliefs of all the major religions'.

To use an excuse that the remains would become a target, is to instill a fear, which is contrary to how the victims lived their lives,

and how we should honor them.

Respectfully,

Thomas J. Meehan III

Father of Colleen Ann Meehan Barkow

Age 26 WTC Cantor-Fitzgerald 103rd Floor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: