Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Thu May 25
Fri May 26
Sat May 27
Sun May 28
Mon May 29
Tue May 30
Wed May 31
9/11: Request to Sign on to Letter of Support for Japan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: 9/11: Request to Sign on to Letter of Support for Japan
From Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:00 am to Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:59 am (included)

Dear 9/11 Community Friends:

Each year I send a letter of support to my friends in the Tokyo Subway Sarin Gas Attacks Victims Association on the anniversary of those attacks, Sunday, March 20th; this year marks the 16th anniversary of these attacks. I would like you to sign on to this letter -reply to me with your name -or to send a letter of your own. I'm sorry to be late in getting this to you -but hope you can quickly get back to me.

I met Mrs.Takahashi, the associations founder, when she visited New York in 2004. She came to New York to learn more about the September 11th Community. She met with family members, survivors, responders and volunteers in order to gain a better understanding of the support programs and efforts that our community and government were providing. In Japan, it has not been the custom to provide aid to victims of crime. Mrs. Takahashi, widow of a train conductor who attempted to save passengers from the Sarin Gas (article follows), pioneered the formation of the victim's support association -something almost unheard of in Japanese society. It took tremendous courage and self-sacrifice for her to advocate for all those who suffered from the attacks more than 5,000, and to found the association which is their voice.

Mrs. Takahashi invited a few of us she met during her NY trip to be part of the Association' s 10th Anniversary Commemoration, March 2005, in Tokyo. (We also toured the Japanese countryside, meeting with September 11th families and with firefighters who came to New York to help after the attacks.) A bond was formed that continues and is further strengthened by the fact that Tokyo is New York City's oldest Sister City.

I can only add that to this group, perhaps the only victims association in Japan, letters of support and remembrance are highly valued and treasured. If you decide to write your own letter, please send me a copy. Mrs. Takahashis email is: shizue@sol.dti.ne.jp .

All the best to you,

Barbara Horn

9/11 Volunteer St. Paul's Chapel and 9/11 Community Advocate

Quote from Founder Mrs. Shizue Takahashi, on 2010 opening of documentary of interviews she had with victims:

"I think victims must work to remind people," said Takahashi in a recent interview. "You cannot stop time or stop people from forgetting . . .but (by showing the film) I want to feel that people are learning something from the great sacrifice we made."

Barbara Marion Horn, MA, 9/11 Community in Action (CIA) Work-In-Progress
Cell: 516.984.7144

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

16th Anniversary, March 20, 2011

Dear Mrs. Takahashi and Our Friends in the Tokyo Subway Sarin Gas Attacks Victims Association,

Each year at this time we send our thoughts of hope and healing for the thousands of people who were harmed during the terrorist attacks on the Tokyo subway system in March 1995. As people harmed by terrorists, we understand your pain and suffering. We stand with you as you do all you can to recover from these attacks and remember those who did not.

This year we hold you very close in our hearts. We see the great anguish of the people of Japan. The TV broadcasts powerful photos of the devastation from the earthquake, the tsunami and the growing danger of the nuclear power plants.

We have great concern for your safety. Our strongest wish is for this danger to pass.

Please know that we care and are praying for you.

We are all in this together,

Barbara Horn

9/11 Volunteer and Community Advocate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: