Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Sun Jun 25
Mon Jun 26
Tue Jun 27
Wed Jun 28
Thu Jun 29
Fri Jun 30
Sat Jul 01
Nadler Bill to Create 9/11 Commemorative Medal Passes House

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Nadler Bill to Create 9/11 Commemorative Medal Passes House
From Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:00 am to Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:59 am (included)

CONGRESSMAN

JERROLD NADLER

8th Congressional District of New York

Nadler Bill to Create 9/11 Commemorative Medal Passes House

Medal will mark the 10th anniversary of 9/11 and directly support the World Trade Center Memorial and Museum

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Tuesday, July 20, 2010

WASHINGTON, D.C. Today, Congressman Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), representative of Ground Zero and long-time advocate of the victims of 9/11, hailed the Houses passage of his legislation to create an official 9/11 commemorative medal. The National September 11 Memorial & Museum Commemorative Medal Act will authorize the creation of up to 2,000,000 silver medals commemorating the 10th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terror attacks and provide funding for the National September 11 Memorial and Museum at the World Trade Center. Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY) has introduced a parallel bill in the Senate.

Next year, our nation will mark the tenth anniversary of the September 11th attacks, said Nadler. To pay tribute to those who lost their lives and to those still suffering because of the attacks of 9/11, I have introduced the National September 11 Memorial & Museum Commemorative Medal Act. These medals will honor the courage and sacrifice of those who perished in the terrorist attacks of 9/11, and recognize the bravery of those who risked their lives to save others on that day.

Some facts about the National September 11 Memorial & Museum Commemorative Medal Act:

The legislation authorizes the striking of up to 2,000,000 silver medals, to be issued throughout 2011 and 2012.
Each medal will be inscribed with the years 2001-2011 and the phrase Always Remember.
The design of the medals will be selected by the Treasury secretary in consultation with the National September 11 Memorial and Museum at WTC and the Commission of Fine Arts, and reviewed by the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee.
The cost of each medal, which will be determined by the U.S. Mint based on the cost of production, will include a $10 donation for the operation of the National September 11 Memorial and Museum at WTC.

Below is Nadlers floor statement:

Thank you, Madam Speaker. I rise today in support of H.R. 4684, the National September 11 Memorial & Museum Commemorative Medal Act.

Next year, our nation will mark the tenth anniversary of the September 11th attacks. It will have been ten years since the most lethal terrorist attack ever committed on U.S. soil, when thousands lost their lives as planes were turned into bombs over the skies of New York, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C.

In the years that have followed, that days events have been transformed from searing headlines to indelible history. To pay tribute to those who lost their lives and to those still suffering because of the attacks of 9/11, I have introduced the National September 11 Memorial & Museum Commemorative Medal Act.

This bill will authorize the U.S. Mint to strike up to 2,000,000 silver medals commemorating the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. The medals will be inscribed with the phrase Always Remember, with the final design to be selected by the Treasury Secretary in consultation with the National September 11 Memorial and Museum. A surcharge of $10 on the sale of each medal will go directly to support the operations and maintenance of the National September 11 Memorial and Museum at the World Trade Center following its completion. These funds will help to preserve the history of 9/11 so that posterity will long remember the bravery and sacrifice of that day.

Issuing a 9/11 commemorative medal is a simple but poignant way to mark the tenth anniversary of the attacks on our nation while simultaneously supporting the World Trade Center Memorial.

I want to thank the more than 300 Members of the House from both parties who have signed on as cosponsors. I want to extend my special appreciation for the support given by Chairman Frank and Ranking Member Bachus as this bill passed through the Financial Services Committee. I also want to thank the Leadership of the House for allowing us to bring this bill to the floor.

These medals will be a tribute to the terrible loss that we experienced on 9/11. And, to truly honor those still suffering from the 9/11 attacks, we must finally provide them with the health care and compensation that their courage and sacrifice deserves. After the towers fell on 9/11, thousands of firefighters, police officers, paramedics, and volunteers from across the country came to Ground Zero to search for survivors and to begin the rebuilding process. Once there, they along with thousands of community members, students, and area workers were exposed to toxic dust from the collapsed towers that filled their lungs and in many cases caused lasting health problems. It is our moral obligation to care for those who still bear the physical scars from this national tragedy, and I, along with Ms. Maloney, am working with the Leadership to bring the 9/11 Health and Compensation Act to the floor in the next few weeks. That bill is essential because the best way to truly pay our respect to the victims and heroes of 9/11 is with the proper health care and compensation for their 9/11-related injuries.

But today, let us honor those whose lives were lost in the attacks of 2001 and commit to preserving the memory of 9/11 for future generations. With this bill, let us reaffirm that, no matter the passage of time, we will never forget.

I thank you and I yield back.

###

Jerrold Nadler has served in Congress since 1992. He represents New Yorks 8th Congressional District, which includes parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Press Releases All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: