Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Thu Apr 27
Fri Apr 28
Sat Apr 29
Sun Apr 30
Mon May 01
Tue May 02
Wed May 03
Staten Island Ferry Terminal Ramps Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Staten Island Ferry Terminal Ramps Project
From Wed May 05, 2010 3:00 am to Sat May 08, 2010 2:59 am (included)

Dear Friend:

I am writing to notify you about the soon to begin Staten Island Ferry Terminal ramp reconstruction project. Please see this Staten Island Advance story: St. George Ferry Terminal ramp facelift is funded with stimulus dollars.

Everyone agrees that this is a necessary and worthy project. I simply write to note a few aspects about this construction that I believe we should all aware of to ensure as smooth a transition as possible.

Specifically, at times during the construction, which is expected to be fully completed in February 2013, there will be more than 300 fewer parking spots in the Staten Island Ferry parking lots (down from over 800 between the two parking lots to 442 spots). This will definitely have an impact on those who drive to the Ferry as part of their daily commutes. DOT is expecting the new St. George Parking Garage on Central Avenue to pick up some of the slack for displaced commuters, but I am unsure as to whether that will end up being a viable option for many. It sounds like a good idea in theory; I would like to see whether it works in practice.

We (correctly!) complain whenever various government agencies fail to give us the necessary “heads up” before a major project that will affect our lives begins. One only needs to think back to the debacle of a few years ago when the MTA started deck replacement work on the Verrazano Bridge, creating horrendous traffic jams for harried commuters. In the case of this Staten Island Ferry ramps project, I believe DOT has been out there trying to give Staten Islanders adequate warning and notice that the project will soon commence. Despite their attempts to give notice, there will certainly be a significant adjustment period for commuters.

Below are some details about this project, which I learned in a recent briefing:

The Pre-Staging Phase will last for 3 months. During this stage, they will relocate the Taxi Stand operations; reconstruct the Bus Station North Loading Platform; remove the traffic island on Richmond Terrace and install temporary signals.

Stage 1 will last for 11 months. During this stage, they will begin working on constructing a new north ramp; reconstruct bus station ramps A and B and the Southern half of the old viaduct; reconstruction of ramps A and D; rehabilitation of the employee breezeway.

Stage 2a will last for 5 months. During this stage, they will continue working on constructing a new north ramp; reconstruct bus station ramp D and the northern half of the old viaduct; reconstruction of the northern half of ramp C; reconstruct the taxi ramp, and construct an elevator vestibule.

Stage 2b will last for 4 months. During this stage, they will continue working on constructing the elevator vestibule, reconstructing the taxi ramp, reconstructing bus station ramp D and the northern half of the old viaduct; and the reconstruction of the southern half of ramp C.

Stage 3 will last for 9.5 months. During this stage, they will begin working on reconstructing bus station ramp C and the reconstruction of ramp C.

The Notice to Proceed was issued on July 27, 2009. The duration of the contract is 1307 days with 320 days for design and 987 days for construction. The estimated completion date is February 2013.

Again, I am passing this information to you in the hopes that you can be prepared for this project. I am a believer that information is power and I am hopeful that we can have as smooth a transition as possible when this project starts. Please feel free to forward this information to friends or family members who utilize the Staten Island Ferry.

As always, if you should have any questions about this project or any other matter, please do not hesitate to email me directly at joddo@council.nyc.gov or call my Chief-of-Staff, Steven Matteo, at 718-980-1017.

All the best,

Jim Oddo
=
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: