Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Fri Mar 24
Sat Mar 25
Prom Dress Giveaway ...
Sun Mar 26
Mon Mar 27
Tue Mar 28
Wed Mar 29
Thu Mar 30
MTA - Message from Councilman Oddo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: MTA - Message from Councilman Oddo
From Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:00 am to Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:59 am (included)

Dear Friends:

I know that we spend a lot of time bashing the MTA and the decisions they make. They certainly deserve the criticisms we levy at them.

However, I want to take the opportunity to let you know about a new Email and Text Message Traffic Alert system they have recently implemented, which I believe can be a useful tool for those who rely on MTA Bridges and Tunnels.

Here is the information from a recent MTA press release:

“Customers have a quick and easy way at their fingertips to be ‘in the know’ about traffic conditions at MTA Bridges and Tunnels’ nine New York City crossings: simply visit www.mta.info and register for Email and Text Message Traffic Alerts.

“It makes good sense to be aware of traffic conditions before setting out on the road (never ‘text-and-drive’ of course!). Subscribers to the MTA’s Email and Text Message Alert System receive email and text message alerts for Bridges and Tunnels, as well as all MTA agencies, depending on their preferences. Messages can be delivered to as many email addresses as a customer indicates, either to cell phones or in the form of text messages.

“In addition to signing up for real-time alerts about unplanned traffic conditions due to off-property incidents, accidents, or disruptive weather, customers can choose to receive notices about planned service changes, such as lane closures required for construction or maintenance work.

“The system also has convenient options such as suspension of notices for certain periods, e.g., vacations, without having to re-enter account information when the customer chooses to re-activate the notifications. New subscribers are free to opt for vacation suspension or planned service change information when they create a Customer Email Alert account.

“It is important to note that while the MTA provides this alert service free of charge, customers may be responsible for the cost of received text messages from their cell phone carrier depending on the calling plan.”

This Email and Text Alert system might be worth a try. I encourage you to investigate whether it could help you better plan your commute. If you do sign up, please let me know of your experiences with it.

As always, if I can be of assistance with MTA issues or any other matters of concern, please do not hesitate to email me directly at joddo@council.nyc.gov or call my Chief-of-Staff, Steven Matteo, at 718.980.1017.

All the best,

Jim Oddo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: