Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Fri Apr 28
Sat Apr 29
Sun Apr 30
Mon May 01
Tue May 02
Wed May 03
Thu May 04
MTA Service Cuts - from C/M Oddo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: MTA Service Cuts - from C/M Oddo
From Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:00 am to Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:59 am (included)

Dear Friends:

Several days ago I emailed you regarding the proposed MTA service cuts that will affect local and express bus routes. I asked you to send me your thoughts on how these cuts, if implemented, would affect you.
I received a flood of thoughtful responses. I thank you for sharing your stories with me. The common theme (as I suspected it would be) was that the proposed changes would have an extremely negative affect on the lives of many of my constituents, and that they are simply unfair.
I have heard you loud and clear and so have my colleagues in government. We will do everything in our power to let the MTA know that these cuts are unacceptable.
Below see links to recent news stories about a press conference that Staten Island’s elected officials held yesterday to forcefully argue against these cuts. This is an issue that transcends party affiliation or political ideology. All of us – Democrats and Republicans – stand united against these cuts, which will disproportionately affect us on Staten Island.
Click here: Pols to MTA honcho: Look before you lop - SILive.com
Last week a NBC/Wall Street Journal poll found that only 23% of Americans said they “trusted the government just about always or most of the time” – the smallest proportion in 12 years. We did not get to this point overnight. We got there in part by telling folks “we have to impose this payroll tax in order to avoid these services cuts,” only to impose the tax and the cuts later on. We got there in part by telling folks we are cutting this line because there are alterative lines” only to reduce that “alternative” during rush hour. We got there in part by saying “Let them take the ferry” even if that means adding a half hour, an hour or even longer to the commute.
The insult on top of the injury you and others have detailed for me is that the MTA and the state elected officials who essentially govern them have helped fuel the cynicism and outright disdain of all involved in peripherally in out government. Tragic.
I will continue to keep you informed of new developments in this struggle for fairness and equity.
As always, please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance with this issue or any other matter.
All the best,
Jim Oddo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: