Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Sun Apr 30
Mon May 01
Tue May 02
Wed May 03
Thu May 04
Fri May 05
Sat May 06
House passes $70 million for 9/11 health care

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: House passes $70 million for 9/11 health care
From Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:00 am to Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:59 am (included)

This Is a Nice Start

Thanks To All Who Helped Get This Done

There Is A Lot More to Do

House passes $70 million for 9/11 health care, News Release from Reps. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY), Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), Peter King (R-NY), and Michael McMahon (D-NY), 12/10/09

Washington, D.C. Reps. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY), Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), Peter King (R-NY), and Michael McMahon (D-NY) today applauded the House passage of $70.7 million in new funding for federal 9/11 health programs. The funding is contained in the conference report for the Fiscal Year 2010 Consolidated Appropriations bill (H.R. 3288).

This funding is another payment on the debt America owes 9/11 responders and others who lost their health because of the attacks, said Rep. Maloney. In the coming weeks, I look forward to working with the Obama Administration to expand federal 9/11 health programs and improve outreach to Americans with 9/11-related illnesses. In addition, with the support of President Obama and Speaker Pelosi, Im hopeful that well soon reach our ultimate goal of passing comprehensive legislation to address the 9/11 health crisis.

I am very appreciative that my colleagues in the House have continued to understand the necessity of funding the vital WTC health programs, said Nadler. Without these funds, thousands of first responders and others who were exposed to the toxic dust of Ground Zero would not be able to receive health care they badly need. My deepest hope is that, by this time next year, we will have passed our 9/11 Health and Compensation Act, guaranteeing an ongoing and reliable source of funding for the 9/11 health programs.

Its been over eight years since the heroes of 9/11 were exposed to the dust cloud, yet the health effects from exposure continue to develop, said King. Constant monitoring and treatment are essential to the health of all who were exposed and I am pleased that this money has been included so that this vital program can continue.

This funding demonstrates the commitment of the New York delegation and President Obama to never forget 9/11 and to continue addressing the long-term healthcare issues of the survivors and first responders, said Rep. Michael E. McMahon. I applaud my colleagues who helped pass this measure and look forward to our continued work to provide comprehensive health care for the first responders of 9/11.

Maloney, Nadler, King, McMahon, and their colleagues in the New York congressional delegation have introduced the 9/11 Health and Compensation Act (H.R. 847), which would provide critical health care and compensation for those sickened or injured in the aftermath of 9/11. The Members of Congress hope to pass the bill in the coming months with President Obamas support.

The relevant section of the Omnibus Appropriations bill states that $70,723,000 shall be available until expended to provide screening and treatment for first responders, emergency services personnel, residents, students, and others related to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: