Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Mon Jun 26
Tue Jun 27
Wed Jun 28
Thu Jun 29
Fri Jun 30
Sat Jul 01
Sun Jul 02
Jay and Dave Keep Up the Good Work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Jay and Dave Keep Up the Good Work
From Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:00 am to Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:59 am (included)

To All,

I have known Jay since 2002 and I met David a short while later.

I have worked with them on numerous occasions.

There has never been anything political about what they are doing.

Jay got involved to honor his brother who was lost on 9/11 and David became involved even though he did not lose a family member.

They wanted make sure that we remembered and honored those who were lost on 9/11.

What began as One Day’s Pay has expanded and led to the 9/11 National Day of Service and Remembrance.

They have been working on this long before Obama became president.

Politics have never entered into the equation.

And to say that they are doing it for financial gain is just absurd.

This is just another example of “no good deed goes unpunished” and trust me I speak from experience

So to Jay and Dave I say don’t let this get you down, keep up the good work and Where to Turn will always be in your corner.

Dennis

Sent: Friday, August 28, 2009 6:55 PM
Cc: Debra Burlingham; Lutnick, Edie; Alice Hoagland; Mary A Fetchet; Lee Ielpi; Rosemary Dillard; Anthony Gardner; Arnie Korotkin; Bill Doyle; Monica Iken; Jay Winuk; Cindy McGinty; Nancy Aronson; Jennifer Adams; Diane Horning; Dennis McKeon; Liz Alderman; Nikiki Stern
Subject: Please Read - Very Unfair and Incorrect Article on 9/11

Hi,

Jay and I wanted to alert you to a very inaccurate, misleading story that appeared in a guest blog online at the American Spectator Web site a couple of days ago. See: http://spectator.org/archives/2009/08/24/obamas-plan-to-desecrate-911, While most have already discounted it as they should, we hope you will all be available if needed to help set the record straight should this inaccurate information be picked up elsewhere or cause confusion among the families. To set the record straight, please communicate to those who may ask the following facts:
• It was the 9/11 community, not President Obama, that called for 9/11 to become a Day of Service and Remembrance, dating back to 2002-2003.
• We are entirely a nonprofit initiative with no partisan leanings whatsoever.
• We have strong support from the left, middle and right -- Rep. Peter King, Gary Sinise, John Bridgeland, Sen. Tadd Cochran, Sen. Orrin Hatch and others all are staunch conservatives who back this effort.
• We depend entirely on private sector contributions - we do not receive any federal funding.
• We have had absolutely nothing...nothing...to do with the individuals or organizations mentioned in Vadum's article -- Jay and I don't even know who they are and have no idea whatseoever where that mystery "conference call" information came from -- the source of course was not cited.
• The Obama Administration supports the 9/11 National Day of Service and Remembrance, which we welcome, but they certainly are not controlling it in any way.
• We helped draft the 9/11 Day of Service and Remembrance legislation that passed Congress in March -- not the Administration.
• We have been very strong in emphasizing to the prior Administration and this Administration that the 9/11 Day of Service and Remembrance is a very special observance that forever belongs fittingly in the hands of the 9/11 community, and we'll make sure it stays that way.
• We oppose any federal mandates involving this program -- we oppose 9/11 becoming a federal holiday.
Here's our formal reply:

Matthew Vadum's article in American Spectator ("Obama's Plan to Desecrate 9/11", August 24, 2009), sadly attempts to do the very thing it criticizes -- politicize 9/11. I am the president of the 9/11 Day of Service and Remembrance, which Jay Winuk and I helped to co-found back in 2002 following the terrorist attacks. On 9/11 Jay lost his brave brother Glenn, an attorney and volunteer EMT in the collapse of the south World Trade Center tower. Shortly thereafter Jay and I, along with the leaders of all 22 of the 9/11 family member and support groups came together to create this observance as a forward-looking way for all of us, and the nation to forever remember the lives of those lost and injured, and pay tribute to the many who rose in service following the attacks and continue to do so today as members of our Armed Forces.
Since then we have worked closely for more than seven years on a bi-partisan basis with Republicans and Democrats alike, conservatives and liberals, including advisors in both the Bush and Obama Administrations. This year thankfully, we finally achieved our mutual goal when Congress, in a broad bi-partisan vote, passed legislation that provided federal recognition for the first time of September 11 as a National Day of Service and Remembrance – a very proper and official affirmation of something that hundreds of thousands of people from all 50 states and 170 countries have observed informally since 2002.
We just wanted to set the record straight that this is not, in any way, a government initiative created by President Obama or any government official. In no way are any of the individuals or organizations cited by Matthew Vadum involved with our group or this observance. Our program partners include the Points of Light Institute, founded with the help of former President George Bush Sr., AARP, America's Promise Alliance, City Year, and so many other wonderful and nonpartisan groups listed on our Web site at 911dayofservice.org. We want to make it clear to all concerned that the 9/11 National Day of Service is a privately-funded, nonprofit observance, nearly unanimously supported by the Left, Middle and Right. This article in American Spectator, which was written by blogger who is not a 9/11 family member, seeks to improperly and unfairly drag the 9/11 families into a much broader political disagreement that exists between those with differing views of how this country should be run.
The 9/11 National Day of Service and Remembrance is a wonderful, patriotic, and constructive observance created by the 9/11 community. It basically tells Osama bin Laden that we will not accept the legacy that he hopes to pass onto to children for generations to come -- solely the visions of death and destruction that he created. This is our chance to take back the day, and ensure as a gift to the families that something positive arises from the ashes of 9/11.
Accordingly, we respectfully request that 9/11 not be used any further by either side of the political spectrum to inspire anger, further political agendas, or create destructive divisions between well-meaning and in some cases heart-broken people. Doing so represents the true desecration of the day, and worse, it dishonors the many brave patriots who gave their lives and rose in service on 9/11 and afterwards.

--
David Paine
Founder and President
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: