Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Wed Mar 22
Thu Mar 23
Fri Mar 24
Sat Mar 25
Prom Dress Giveaway ...
Sun Mar 26
Mon Mar 27
Tue Mar 28
ANOTHER IMPORTANT CALL: 9/11 Day of Service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: ANOTHER IMPORTANT CALL: 9/11 Day of Service
From Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:00 am to Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:59 am (included)

Friends,

Thanks to all your help, we secured passage of the legislation establishing 9/11 as a National Day of Service. NOW WE HAVE ONE FINAL HURDLE -- CONGRESSIONAL APPROPRIATIONS. Although the legislation has passed, Congress still can choose not to fund the program, something they do all the time! Often that can be good policy, but not in our case. We need Congress to authorize the very modest funding we have requested so that we can implement the program ASAP and start preparing for the 10th anniversary of 9/11, which is in 2011.

You can help by making one more call, to Representative David Obey, chairman of the Appropriations Committee that will begin considering our request next week. His Washington DC office telephone number is: 202-225-3365. PLEASE MAKE THE CALL AS SOON AS YOU CAN BEGINNING TOMORROW. His committee will begin reviewing appropriation requests early next week. You can say:

"My name is ________________, and I (add something about your background, interest or where you live). I'm calling to urge Chairman Obey and the Committee on Appropriations to support the request for full funding of the September 11 National Day of Service and Remembrance. This request is absolutely vital to establishing 9/11 as a National Day of Service in America. We need this observance to ensure that America forever remembers the events of 9/11, and as a way to pay lasting tribute to the victims, as well as the first responders, rescue and recovery workers, volunteers and military personnel who rose to service in response to the 9/11 attacks on our nation. I would greatly appreciate it if you would please pass along my message to Rep. Obey. Thank you."

We have great support among members of the Committee, but as Chairman, Representative Obey will ultimately play a major role in deciding whether the 9/11 program is funded.

Thanks again...we are very close!

David

--
David Paine
President and Founder
www.MyGoodDeed.org
9/11 Day of Service Initiative
Direct: 949-233-0050
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: