Joined: Mar 17, 2005
Location: Staten Island
|Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:23 pm Post subject: A Message from the Mayor's Office
From Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:00 am to Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:59 am (included)
|Dear Nonprofit Partners:
Greetings. As part of his State of the City Address, Mayor Bloomberg announced that the City would launch a new initiative to increase public service and volunteerism in NYC. When the service initiative is announced in several weeks, we are anticipating a huge spike in visitor traffic to our database and we hope that that initial spike will result in steady users who find meaningful and impactful service through our site. Therefore, we want your organization's page and volunteer postings to be ready!
We have three main goals as we prepare www.VolunteerNYC.org <http> for the service launch:
First, we want to make sure that potential volunteers have access to as many volunteer opportunities as possible - so we'd like you to think critically about whether you have new opportunities to post.
* Don't forget to post for upcoming one-time opportunities as well as your on-going needs.
* If you need specialized help from someone with financial, accounting, development or PR skills etc. -- now is a great time to post such an opportunity.
Second, we have improved our search functions so that volunteers can search for appropriate and meaningful ways to impact their community even more easily. Therefore, we need your help in making sure the opportunities that are currently posted are aligned with our enhanced search functionality.
* Please think critically about what skills you need from your volunteers.
* Please be sure that the locations of the volunteer opportunity
* Please think about using key terms in your project
descriptions and titles.
Third, we'd like to help you make sure your organization's profile is up-to-date with the most current contact information, organization description, AND most importantly, volunteer opportunities available to New Yorkers throughout the five boroughs.
* We want New Yorkers to be excited by these opportunities -- please think about how you can link the volunteer opportunities back to the mission of your organization.
* The title of your volunteer opportunity will be the first thing most people see -- make sure they get a real sense of what is needed from the title.
The Mayor's Office is committed to helping your organization meet its volunteer needs by maximizing the resources provided by VolunteerNYC. As such, there will be a representative of the Mayor's Office calling your organization to help you through the aforementioned site updates. You may start updating your profile by logging in to www.VolunteerNYC.org <http> today.
We have limited time to update our volunteer opportunities and we'll need your profiles updates BY FRIDAY APRIL 10. If you have any questions about VolunteerNYC.org, please contact The Mayor's Volunteer Center of NYC at volunteerNYC@cityhall.nyc.gov or 212.788.7550
The Mayor's Volunteer Center of NYC