Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Sun Mar 26
Mon Mar 27
Tue Mar 28
Wed Mar 29
Thu Mar 30
Fri Mar 31
Sat Apr 01
Where to Turn Cleanu...
Important News from September's Mission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Important News from September's Mission
From Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:00 am to Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:59 am (included)

Hi Family and Friends,
Seven years ago, September 8, 2001, we were celebrating my beloved husband Michael's 37th birthday. Three days later, I was planning my life without him. I still canít believe heís gone. He would've turned 44 this September.
Looking back over my time with Michael, and over the last seven years of advocating for the memorial, I have no doubt why I began Septemberís Mission and why I continue working to make sure we have a beautiful and fitting memorial to honor and do justice to the lives and memories of those we lost.
We at September's Mission would like to thank you all for your dedicated support throughout the years. As we approach the 7th year anniversary of September 11, 2001, we feel we have accomplished our mission and will be closing the foundation at the end of the month.
Our Mission was to support the development of the Memorial at the former WTC site. The National September 11th Memorial & Museum (NSMM) Foundation is now well established, and Iím proud of the progress. I feel itís now time to put our full energies into supporting the NSMM Foundation. I am confident they will carry forward into future generations the commitment we all share to never forget that day, but also to always remember our loved ones.
I intend to remain active on the board of the NSMM Foundation, serving as a member of the Programming Committee for the museum, and as always, advocating on behalf of our families. Our goal is to have the Memorial open by the 10th Anniversary.
In addition, I look forward to continuing our work with Voices of September 11th on the Living Memorial Ė an online interactive tribute commemorating the lives and preserving the stories of September 11, 2001. If you are not familiar with the project or have not yet created a tribute for your loved one, please visit www.voicesofsept11.org to learn more and see how much has been accomplished in keeping their spirits alive. I also recommend Voices of September 11th as an excellent resource for families, and encourage you to take advantage of the information, services and support they continue to offer for those who need it.
I'd like to give a special thank you to my amazing board members, advisors and champions: Howard Coupland Jr.; Russ Elmer; E*Trade; Holly Nedelka; Hiram Lazar; Buck Moorehead; Dewey Ballentine LLP; Scott Warner, Principal Warner Strategies; Amy M. Smith, WhiteOak Communications; Michael Spencer along with HAI; and the Septemberís Mission staff. All believed in our mission and made it a reality. Each played a significant role in Septemberís Mission whether rolling up their sleeves, providing encouragement, pro bono services or phenomenal support.
We cannot thank you enough for making Septemberís Mission possible, and as we close our doors, we remember and reflect on all the good work. We should all be proud to have been a part of it and feel good about it. We made a big difference Ė and it wouldnít have been possible without your support and encouragement along with the many other family members and groups who also felt the calling and resolved to make a difference.
If you had asked me nearly seven years ago where Iíd be now, I wouldnít have had an answer. I still hurt for the loss of Michael, and still have healing to do, but Iíve also been fortunate. I married a wonderful and understanding man, Bob Murphy - and we have two beautiful girls - Madison almost three - and Megan almost a year old. My work has allowed me to feel good about having a family and moving into my new life. I hope and pray that you too have found comfort and joy amidst the sadness we will always share.
The September's Mission website www.septembersmission.org will remain active as a tribute to Michael. Your contact information will not be distributed. Please feel free to keep in touch with me or let me know if you have questions or concerns about the memorial. You can still reach me at iken1@verizon.net or 917-476-3876. As always, Iíll do what I can to help.
Thank you again for believing in me and for your incredible support and encouragement.
Sincerely,
Monica Iken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: