Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Sun Jun 25
Mon Jun 26
Tue Jun 27
Wed Jun 28
Thu Jun 29
Fri Jun 30
Sat Jul 01
Fun Facts and Good News From NSWC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Fun Facts and Good News From NSWC
From Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:00 am to Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:59 am (included)

Dear All,

This week I was notified by Nick D. of the Borough President's Office that the long awaited No Illegal Dumping signs have been placed at Van Name and Van Pelt in Mariners Harbor. Nick said that Illegal Dumping at this location will carry a hefty fine of $1500.00. And sure enough when I drove to Van Name and Van Pelt two No Illegal Dumping signs were there visible from Richmond Terrace. Bravo to the BP's Office.

Mariners Harbor and Arlington residents are also on their toes calling in illegal dumping complaints and confronting anyone that they think is in the process of illegal dumping in our * Blue Streets Area of Van Name and Van Pelt on Richmond Terrace (Mariners Harbor).

Bravo to Mariners Harbor and Arlington residents for taking ownership of theirs and our waterfront. Keep it Coming!

Next...
On the way back home I swung by Faber Park to check and see whatever happened to our complaint about the big holes in the Faber Park Promenade. And thanks be, the whole promenade has been repaired with new red brick. Bravo to Commissioner Thomas Paulo and Councilman Michael McMahon for recognizing the need of this promenade and seeing to it, that it was properly repaired for public use.

I also took the opportunity to look over the railing only to see what I thought was a cupcake wrapper and then to realize it was a jelly fish, the size of my hand. It was a transparent brownish outer area, with a wine red almost purplish center, the color intensified the closer it came to the surface of the water. It was the very first jelly fish that I have ever seen in the wild. I called out to some children that were standing nearby to where I was standing to come see the jelly fish. And they too became excited over seeing the jelly fish swimming in the Kill Van Kull. I told their parents that this was good sign that Kill Van Kull is becoming cleaner, visible marine life. They were like really?

I hope this doesn't sound redundant, but, It was also the first time in the 19 years of living on Staten Island that I have ever seen jelly fish in the Kill Van Kull. Very cool in deed. http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngkids/9608/jellyfish/

Also for me it is reminder that we are an island community, however for the kids and me that saw the 5 jelly fish swimming in the KVK it was just cool.

But for those residents on the South shore and Mid island that have beach front access they may want to keep their eyes open for jelly fish.

*For those of you who may be new "Blue Streets" are City owned waterfront properties that we/NSWC adopted and have been cleaning up for the past 4 years. To give residents much needed access to their waterfront on the North shore of Staten Island from St. George to Arlington. Granted more help is needed such as larger equipment to pull out the old pier, bulkhead and boat debris that has floated to our shores. But thus far we do what we can with what we have, which is with our bare hands and hand tools. I have yet to hear from anyone that our waterfront clean ups are boring.

Regards,
Beryl

Beryl A. Thurman, Executive Director/President
NSWC

www.nswcsi.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: