Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Thu May 25
Fri May 26
Sat May 27
Sun May 28
Mon May 29
Tue May 30
Wed May 31
POLITICS AS A SECOND LANGUAGE & ACCOUNTABILITY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Lost Art of Common Sense ( Op Ed )
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: POLITICS AS A SECOND LANGUAGE & ACCOUNTABILITY
From Fri May 02, 2008 3:00 am to Tue May 06, 2008 2:59 am (included)

To All,

The articles continue about Senator Gregg and the two local papers have their opinions on what’s going on (see links below).

The bottom line is there are two problems that this issue brings to light.

One is that this is typical grandstanding by a Senator to get his 15 minutes of fame and try to show what power he has on the Senate floor.

More than that, it goes to the very integrity of the Senator himself. Here is a person that approved the funds and approved the project that the funds were allocated for but now has a change of heart.

The economy has taken a downturn and now he is going back on his commitment, back on his word.

That my friends is why people have such a low opinion of politicians.

There used to be a saying that “my word is my bond” it now appears to be “my word is only good until something better comes along”

So here we have a politician (I have a hard time dignifying him calling him a Senator) using the typical “my words were misinterpreted excuse” following in the footsteps of Congressman Issa to defend his statements.

I sometimes wonder if there is a course that politicians must take before they run.(Politics as a Second Language),as it appears that they mean what they say until they are questioned and then come the excuses.

Charles De Gaulle once said “Since a politician never believes what he says, he is quite surprised to be taken at his word”

Based on Senator Gregg’s statements I would have to agree.

Unfortunately this is only half of the problem. The second half falls squarely on the shoulders of the elected officials in New York and New Jersey.

For nearly seven years we have spent billions of dollars and have practically nothing to show for it.

Millions have been spent on administrative costs and lawyers and agencies that were created and staffed by political pals.

Countless other millions were given to a company with a questionable track record that has yet to identify tens of thousands of remains.

New York has given out 9/11 grants and loans to people to open donut shops in Phoenix and Jersey City used Homeland Security funds to purchase sanitation trucks.

The LMDC was anything but a “development” corporation and might as well been the Lower Manhattan Political Corporation for what they actually accomplished.

So now when we want to spend money on a legitimate project of course others are going to call us on it.

For the past six years we have been asking for accountability and have gotten little.

We have loved ones buried in a landfill but cannot find funds to properly bury them but can find funds to create a rail link.

The city spends millions on lawyers to fight victim’s health claims but can’t find a single dollar to help those still suffering the physical and mental impacts of 9/11.

Can you really blame people for questioning?

The bottom line is we need to show some accountability.

We can begin by taking back funds for contracts for which services were not delivered. Require banks to re-pay 9/11 loans that were improperly distributed and do a complete audit of the grant programs as well as the agencies created since 9/11.

And while we are at it we can ask New Hampshire and South Carolina to do the same.

And then maybe Senator Gregg will stop his showboating.

Dennis

GROUND ZERO CYNICISM

http://www.where-to-turn.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=42640

Judd's word is mud

http://www.where-to-turn.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=42639

For additional articles go to

http://www.where-to-turn.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=23
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Lost Art of Common Sense ( Op Ed ) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: