Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Wed Jun 28
Thu Jun 29
Fri Jun 30
Sat Jul 01
Sun Jul 02
Mon Jul 03
Tue Jul 04
WILL YOU STILL LOVE ME TOMORROW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Lost Art of Common Sense ( Op Ed )
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: WILL YOU STILL LOVE ME TOMORROW
From Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:00 am to Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:59 am (included)

I just finished watching a movie and two things struck me. The song “Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow” played as the credits rolled on and on.

Actors, directors, producers, stunt men, grips, caterers etc.

For some reason I was immediately thinking about the current Primary Race.

So many people involved and so many similarities to making a movie.

Or really more like making a TV series as the candidates need to come up with new scripts every week.

And just like TV they need to go for the ratings.

Whether it is that special guest star or the item grabbed from the current headlines.

The problem is this isn’t a movie and not a TV series it is the process that will decide the future President of our country.

Unfortunately the candidates continue to act more like movie stars than future leaders.

And their campaigns are run more like ad campaigns then political campaigns.

The problem is at least in the movie business they had gotten past the race and gender card.

Denzel Washington, Will Smith, Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts are just a few that millions pay to see with each new release.

More people go to see an actress or actor in a movie if they are good, not because they are African American or not because they are female.

Unfortunately that is not the case with this year’s primary.

Too much attention continues to be being put on the sex, race or religion of the candidates when it should be being placed on the qualifications.

While DNA determines what we are it is life experience that determines who we are.

We need to get back to that and again that is not easy.

For like movie stars the candidates change with each role.

And what plays in the Bible Belt doesn’t necessarily play to well in the north east or California.

Take a speech from one state and match it against a speech in another and it would be difficult to determine that it was the same candidate.

So what is one to do?

Do we vote for the candidate that has the most money and can afford the best ad campaign?

I don’t think so, as I have gone to see too many bombs based on great trailers.

Do we vote for the candidate because they are the same race, religion or sex that we are?

Again I don’t think so as we should at least use as much judgment in an election as we do in selecting a movie.

So again what do we do?

We must put aside race gender and religion.

We do some of our own homework and check out what the candidates have actually done.

Because if these candidates were stars according to them their shelves would be lined with Oscars and Emmys.

A little research will definitely go a long way.

Do this on your own and do not rely on media endorsements as they have become as useless as reviews.

With some reviewers praising every movie a particular actor or actress is in, no matter how bad it is.

Best answer is deciding for yourself and letting the best man or woman win.

Because they are not stars and neither are we. We are the grips, caterers, best boys and all the other little people.

And getting back to the song?

Don’t expect any of the candidates to love you tomorrow.

As they will be on to the next state before you even wake up.

Dennis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Lost Art of Common Sense ( Op Ed ) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: