Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Thu Jul 20
WHERE TO TURN PART T...
Fri Jul 21
WHERE TO TURN PART T...
Sat Jul 22
WHERE TO TURN PART T...
Sun Jul 23
WHERE TO TURN PART T...
Mon Jul 24
WHERE TO TURN PART T...
Tue Jul 25
WHERE TO TURN PART T...
Wed Jul 26
WHERE TO TURN PART T...
CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Lost Art of Common Sense ( Op Ed )
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?
From Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:00 am to Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:59 am (included)

If this wasn't so serious it could be made into a bad Verizon wireless commercial.

Diane keeps asking and keeps getting ignored.

So much for full disclosure

Once again, please let me know if my questions should be redirected. If not, please send a response promptly. Thank you, Diane Horning
----- Original Message -----
To: Borakove, Ellen (OCME)

Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:43 AM
Subject: Fw: THREE (3) WORLD TRADE CENTER IDENTIFICATIONS

Dear Ms. Borakove, Ellen,
If I have sent the previous email to the wrong person, please tell me to whom I should redirect it. We have been fielding many questions and would like to be a position to give family members accurate answers from the OCME instead of having them rely on mere speculation. Thank you for your prompt response.
Diane Horning

To: Borakove, Ellen
Cc: Sally Regenhard ; gcorbet1@ix.netcom.com ; dennis.mckeon@where-to-turn.org ; Siegelnorman@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: THREE (3) WORLD TRADE CENTER IDENTIFICATIONS

Please tell me why this report (which we had been promised monthly) has a new format. I cannot really tell how many of the discoveries which had been listed as "potential" human remains have now been deemed "actual" human remains and how many "potential" remains are still waiting verification as "actual" human remains. Perhaps I am reading this chart incorrectly. If so, can you tell me how to find this particular information in future reports. Thank you.

Also, the third identification mentioned below is not clear. Can you please tell me if this identification came from what was found in that first the manhole from October or from the other manholes/haul road subsequently searched as a result of having discovered remains in the first man hole. Thank you for your prompt response. Diane Horning
To: Carie Lemack ; Diane Nealon ; WTC Families for Proper Burial ; M. McGinty ; Dennis McKeon ; Charles Wolf ; Sally Regenhard ; Caitlin Zampella ; Jennifer Adams ; michael.t.dempsey@credit-suisse.com ; Anthony Gardner ; Suzanne Sebert ; Lee Ielip
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 1:00 PM
Subject: THREE (3) WORLD TRADE CENTER IDENTIFICATIONS

We have made three new WTC identifications. Raymond ("Erick") Sanchez,
Age 45, Male Hispanic, was identified from remains from the original
recovery. The second identification is from remains recovered from the
Deutsche Bank in April 2006. The release of the name is pending family
authorization. The third identification is from remains recovered from
the Haul Road following the discovery of human remains in a Con Edison
manhole at the WTC site in October 2006. Release of the name is
pending family authorization

Please explain why none of my previous messages has been answered. If these should be sent to someone else, please redirect them, or tell me to whom they should be sent. Thank you, Diane Horning

To: 911familyquestions
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 5:57 PM
Subject: Fw: 9-11 Family Update

I see that you have just sent this same July 3rd update along with the letter from July 11, 2007. My question as stated in the previous message, (see below) Remains the same. Is Jarrod still on his honeymoon? Why has there been no further action or response regarding the part of the WTC site pointed out to the City at the meeting with Deputy Maytor Skyler last October and again to Jarrod Berstein, as the City's representative in early June? Again, I would like to know what is the difficulty and to whom can we address our continued concerns. Thanks you, Diane Horning
Cc: Bernstein, Jarrod ; Sally Regenhard ; gcorbet1@ix.netcom.com ; dennis.mckeon@where-to-turn.org
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 12:36 PM
Subject: Re: 9-11 Family Update

Please explain why there is NO mention (in the July 3 update) of a search near the old subway line. This is the area brought to the City's attention, and agreed to, in October 2006. That was followed with another request and promise of action in early June 2007. Having been promised a response within 48 hours, a month later we still have no response. What is the difficulty and to whom can we address our continued concerns? Thank you, Diane Horning
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 1:31 PM
Subject: 9-11 Family Update

To: 9-11 Family Groups

Date: July 3, 2007

RE: 9-11 Family Update

Greetings:

Iíd like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Nazli Parvizi and I am the new Commissioner at CAU. Iím sure I will be working with all of you in the near future and look forward to meeting you. In the meantime, I would like to give you an update on search operations.

Attached, please find the latest memo from Deputy Mayor Ed Skyler to Mayor Bloomberg with updated information.

Please feel free to contact my office with any questions at 911familyquestions@cityhall.nyc.gov or 212-788-7418.

For those of you who have been inquiring about the status of the memorial this year, please note that we are preparing to start planning shortly and will be in touch when there is further information.

Best wishes,

Nazli Parvizi

Please explain the "mutually beneficial communications strategy" which you referenced below. To date, none of my previous questions has been answered. When, for example, will Jarrod get back to us about the specific area we showed him and which needs to be searched for human remains and which Mr. Skyler's office assured us in October 2006 would be searched? I anticipate a prompt response. Diane Horning
To: Parvizi, Nazli ; Bernstein, Jarrod
Cc: Holloway, Cas ; Sally Regenhard ; gcorbet1@ix.netcom.com ; dennis.mckeon@where-to-turn.org ; Siegelnorman@aol.com
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2007 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: waiting to hear

This is not really a matter of any misunderstandings. It is a matter of the living being ignored and the dead being discarded. Has Jarrod been away since June 17th, the date of my last message to him? If he knew he would be away, shouldn't he have told us when we met or in his most recent communication? I can understand not anticipating an illness, but a marriage and honeymoon is a different matter. I wish him well and hope he has a long and happy marriage. I hope his honeymoon is wonderful. I wish him no personal ill-will, but only joy and success. But, that does not mean I am not upset about having left us without any recourse and with our situation being further compromised every day. Leaving the dead unrecovered and unburied... continuing a process that further desecrates their remains is unjust and immoral and beyond anything I ever could have imagined. Diane Horning

To: WTCFamiliesforProperBurial@comcast.net ; Bernstein, Jarrod
Cc: Holloway, Cas ; SallyRegenhard@aol.com ; gcorbet1@ix.netcom.com ; dennis.mckeon@where-to-turn.org ; Siegelnorman@aol.com
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2007 8:25 AM

Apologies for the fact that my last message got cut off. To continue:

When Jarrod returns, we will work out a mutually beneficial communications strategy to avoid future misunderstandings.

Thanks very much.

Best,
Nazli
Nazli Parvizi
Commissioner l Community Assistance Unit
--------------------------------------------------------------
100 Gold Street, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10038
Tel: 212-788-7561 l Cell: 917-856-8123
nparvizi@cityhall.nyc.gov

KNOW NEW YORK:
visit nyc.gov - call 311 - watch nycTV

From: WTC Families For Proper Burial <WTCFamiliesforProperBurial@comcast.net>
To: Bernstein, Jarrod
Cc: Holloway, Cas; Parvizi, Nazli; Sally Regenhard <SallyRegenhard@aol.com>; gcorbet1@ix.netcom.com <gcorbet1@ix.netcom.com>; Dennis.mckeon@where-to-turn.org <Dennis.mckeon@where-to-turn.org>; Siegelnorman@aol.com <Siegelnorman@aol.com>
Sent: Sun Jul 08 23:05:02 2007
Subject: Fw: waiting to hear

Mr. Bernstein:
It is now a month since you met with us and indicated you would give us some response within 48 hours. Can you even begin to understand why we do not trust the City and its promises and assurances? Mr. Skyler released a notice late last Tuesday (7/3/07) telling us about a new (accidental) discovery. Why is NOTHING being done about a clearly delineated search area which had been pointed out last October and again a month ago? Has any activity taken place at that site since we spoke on June 11th? Is anything taking place there which could compromise a search operation at that site? Why has no decision been made concerning the volunteer who can monitor the progress and veracity of the searches? I expect a complete and timely response. Diane Horning
From: WTC Families For Proper Burial <mailto:WTCFamiliesforProperBurial@comcast.net>
To: Bernstein, Jarrod <mailto:JBernstein@cityhall.nyc.gov>
Cc: Holloway, Cas <mailto:CHolloway@cityhall.nyc.gov> ; Parvizi, Nazli <mailto:NParvizi@cityhall.nyc.gov> ; Sally Regenhard <mailto:SallyRegenhard@aol.com> ; gcorbet1@ix.netcom.com ; Dennis.mckeon@where-to-turn.org ; Siegelnorman@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2007 11:21 PM

Please note the following contains three messages, the earliest being the last:

No, Jarrod, this is not acceptable.

Let me get this straight. October 27, 2006, we met with Deputy Mayor Skyler and others. In a gross act of bad-faith the City released a report published by two agencies not even involved in that meeting. Both the LMCCC and the DDC issued the "Report and Recommendations on Additional Searches For Human Remains at and in the Vicinity of the World Trade Center Site," on October 27, 2006. It was obvious that our input meant nothing as this report was already prepared and ready for distribution the very day we participated in a discussion/meeting about this very topic. Neither agency ever heard our concerns or considered them. Following our calls to the Deputy Mayor's office about this apparent tokenistic meeting, where our input counted for NOTHING, we got a response that they indeed DID take our comments into consideration and the proof was that they now included the "grassy area" as another necessary search area, as per our request. Not long after, David Dunlap, writing in The New York Times included a map which also showed this area to be considered.

A subsequent meeting was scheduled for April 27, 2007. I asked that both the DDC and LMCCC be represented at that meeting. The Deputy Mayor's assistant claimed that neither the DDC nor the LMCCC had anything to do with setting the parameters for the additional search for human remains. He told me I was incorrect and that the October 27, 2006 document was not submitted by them. I sent him a file with the actual document (see title above) which had the following names printed on the cover:
TO: Edward Skyler, Deputy Mayor for Administration
BY: David J. Burney, AIA, Commissioner, Department of Design and Construction
Charles J. Makish, Executive Director, Lower Manhattan Construction Command Center

The resulting meeting was attended by one person on the DDC staff. My questions to him were fielded by someone from the Deputy Mayor's office. The DDC representative did not speak one word, and no one from the LMCCC was in attendance. We posed more questions; were promised answers and were then ignored again.

Then you called me recently, months after all this had occurred, to tell me the City has no idea what this "grassy area" is, and requested that we come in and show it to you! Last Monday we expended great effort to come into the City, arranged for two qualified consultants to accompany us and showed you an area that the City told us six months ago would be checked. When we met, you had not arranged to take us onto the site but kept us at a distance. We asked you to call up Mr. Dunlap's map on a computer site at the LMDC office so that you could see that this space had been clearly delineated months ago. You declined, saying that would not be necessary. No one with actual authority came with us or spoke with us or, indeed, took us seriously. You were careful to tell us that you had no real authority to answer our questions or propose any solutions.

We can no longer wait until the relief we ask for is no longer possible. This is NOT a complex problem. With us, we brought a man who worked every day on the site during clean-up. He met with you and told you that this particular area had NEVER been checked. He volunteered to be a consultant on behalf of the families. Who is having a problem with that? If indeed this is a complicated situation, you can, at the very least explain to whom you have spoken and what the complication is. Instead, we get the give-me-some-time routine.

We still have not received answers to many question posed last September and October and others posed this past April and still others recently repeated when our answers from Mr. Holloway were incomplete. All we get is a continual report about 10 (potential) human remains or 4 (potential) human remains or any other given number found each day in areas that should have been searched over five years ago. We get no identifications, no scientific approach to the survey of possible sites. What we do get is a general feeling that the dead and their families are just a bother, and that you, personally, have drawn the short straw and have been given the job of placating us and ultimately ignoring us. Can you even imagine what a wonderful Father's Day this has been? Can you even imagine what your cavalier response on this Father's Day meant to the father's of the dead children or to the children of the dead fathers?

How disingenuous to ask for time to send us a "substantive response" when the City has no history of sending us substantive responses. Our last questions were only partially answered once a decision was made to stop further exploration for human remains on site. So our questions and any responses became moot. Is this the same tactic we can expect concerning this grassy area?

The timing of your response was particularly cruel. The content of your response was particularly hollow.
Diane Horning
From: Bernstein, Jarrod <mailto:JBernstein@cityhall.nyc.gov>

From: Bernstein, Jarrod <mailto:JBernstein@cityhall.nyc.gov>
To: WTCFamiliesforProperBurial@comcast.net
Cc: Holloway, Cas <mailto:CHolloway@cityhall.nyc.gov> ; Parvizi, Nazli <mailto:NParvizi@cityhall.nyc.gov>
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2007 9:55 PM

Diane--

Thanks for your note. As you now, this is a particularly complicated location. Iíve conveyed our discussion to the group working on the human remains recovery and they are reviewing the issues. Iílll get back to you as soon as I have something substantive to report.

JNB

Jarrod Neal Bernstein
Office of the Mayor
Community Assistance Unit
jbernstein@cityhall.nyc.gov
Office (212) 788-3037
Fax (212) 788-7754
Cell (347) 386-2009

-----Original Message-----
From: WTC Families For Proper Burial <WTCFamiliesforProperBurial@comcast.net>
To: Bernstein, Jarrod
Sent: Fri Jun 15 16:37:48 2007
Subject: waiting to hear

Jarrod,
When we finished our meeting on Monday, you agreed to get back to us within 48 hours, even if that meant a progress report and not a full conclusion to the situations we had discussed. I have not heard from you and wonder why. Please let us know where we stand. I do not think I can wait another 7 or 8 months to get another partial response. Thank you Diane
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Lost Art of Common Sense ( Op Ed ) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: