Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Fri Jul 21
WHERE TO TURN PART T...
Sat Jul 22
WHERE TO TURN PART T...
Sun Jul 23
WHERE TO TURN PART T...
Mon Jul 24
WHERE TO TURN PART T...
Tue Jul 25
WHERE TO TURN PART T...
Wed Jul 26
WHERE TO TURN PART T...
Thu Jul 27
WHERE TO TURN PART T...
MAYBE I'M WRONG BUT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Lost Art of Common Sense ( Op Ed )
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: MAYBE I'M WRONG BUT
From Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:00 am to Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:59 am (included)

Maybe I am wrong but

Doesn’t it seem wrong that we needed to have a rehabilitation hospital built out of private funds because the Government refuses to provide funding.

We have made these recommendations before but we will try again.

FEDERAL

The military expenditure of the United States Department of Defense for fiscal year 2006 was:

Total Funding $470.2 Billion.
Operations and maintenance $124.3 Bil.
Military Personnel $108.8 Bil.
Procurement $79.1 Bil.
Research, Development, Testing & Evaluation $69.5 Bil.
Military Construction $12.2 Bil.
Department of Energy Defense Activities $17.0 Bil.

If the government was required to take just 5% of all military spending and allocate it to Veteran and Injured soldiers needs we would have $23.51 Billion to build hospitals, provide proper medical treatments and assist families of soldiers who died defending their country.

This year the Bush Administration will be requesting $170 Billion for military and diplomatic operations in Afghanistan and Iraq alone.

$8.5 Billion would go a long way to help our veterans.

We have passed this suggestion along with the hopes that one of our Senators or Congressmen will run with it.

STATE

Maybe I am wrong but

Why do we allow government run lotteries to continue to spend millions on advertising trying to lure additional victims most of whom can’t afford it.

I do not have the most recent figures but

In 2002 state governments on the average spent $466 Million on Lottery promotions and advertising. (current numbers are most likely much higher)

Most of this advertising is not exactly honest.

Duke University professors Charles Clotfelter and Philip Cook note six common tactics commonly used in lottery advertising:
o Overemphasize the chance of winning. In 70% of TV ads studied, those pictured playing the lottery won.
o Design games so as to disguise the true odds, as well as to give the impression of a greater possibility of winning.
o Ridicule doubters.
o Encourage the false notion that there is an element of skill in playing the lottery.
o Encourage players to minimize regret. Remind them of how bad they would feel if they missed playing the lottery on the day when their numbers “hit.”
o Provide misleading information about the true odds, or don’t provide any information at all

Wouldn’t it make more sense to take this money and apply it directly to Education. With the sharp increase in teenage and senior gambling why would we continue to allow them to recruit more victims.

LOCAL

Maybe I am wrong but

Does it make sense that a judge ruled that it is unconstitutional to deny minors the right to buy spray paint and markers commonly used in graffitiing.

Through local programs in conjunction with the Borough President’s Office, the local police precincts and our organization we have attempted to stem the tide of graffiti on Staten Island.

One thing that was helping us was the fact that the law had made it more difficult for minors to obtain spray paint and markers.

I wonder if the judge would have handed down the same decision had his home or court house been graffitied.

Feel Free to share your ideas and we will post them. Tomorrow’s topic is the city’s handling of Ground Zero.

Dennis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Lost Art of Common Sense ( Op Ed ) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: