Joined: Mar 17, 2005
Location: Staten Island
|Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:54 am Post subject: IT IS TIME FOR A CHANGE
From Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:00 am to Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:59 am (included)
|The events of the last few days are just a culmination of events that show how the families and the public in general have been kept in the dark about the recovery effort at Ground Zero.
For months we have been calling for JPAC to come in to coordinate the search effort.
Our requests have been ignored.
The Mayor’s office attempted to push through a resolution at Community Board 1 to ban JPAC.
When his resolution was rejected he refused to listen to the family members and residents of Lower Manhattan and a resolution asking for JPAC assistance has been ignored.
For months we have been calling for the complete excavation of the Haul Road and the site of the Greek Orthodox Church. For months the mayor has done nothing to expedite this process.
For the last week we have been questioning why no non human material has been recovered from the Haul Road.
The mayor’s office never said a word.
Today when these 2 steel beams were located Ed Skyler stated;
"We've been finding material from the buildings throughout the haul road, so in that context it's not that surprising,”. "What's most important to us is locating remains that we can find and returning them to the families."
What is important is that there is open and honest communication between the mayor’s office and the people.
This has never occurred.
Families were shocked yesterday to find out that material from the haul road was not going directly to 11 Water Street as we had been told.
There is a facility at 39th Street doing pre-screening (we do not even know what that means).
This facility was not part of the family tour nor was it mentioned during the tour when the process was explained.
There is an inventory system that could possibly identify human remains through personal items recovered from the site.
This system is not being used and the mayor’s office refuses to explain why.
There have been allegations that nearly $750,000 in cash and over 1,000 in jewelry vouchered can not be accounted for.
Again no answers.
For months we have been asking for a report detailing what remains has been tested and the results of these tests.
We have asking why no DNA has been extracted from any of the over 1,000 remains recovered this year.
We have also asked for a full disposition of the over 20,000 remains recovered since 9/11.
We have been asking where the debris from the Deutsche Bank Building is being stored (as it has not gone through 11Water Street)
We have been asking to meet with the people who could answer these questions.
The mayor through his representatives has ignored these requests.
We have lost faith in anything that he has to say.
The side stepping of the issue of how the Haul Road was constructed and the avoidance of our concerns over the past year has caused irreparable harm.
We need an outside agency that will look out for the concerns of the families as well as the residents of Lower Manhattan to take charge of the recovery effort.
An agency that does not report to the mayor or the Port Authority.
It is time for a change.
Put It Above Ground