Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Mon Mar 27
Tue Mar 28
Wed Mar 29
Thu Mar 30
Fri Mar 31
Sat Apr 01
Where to Turn Cleanu...
Sun Apr 02
FAMILY MEMBER LETTER TO GOV SPITZER

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Lost Art of Common Sense ( Op Ed )
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: FAMILY MEMBER LETTER TO GOV SPITZER
From Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:00 am to Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:59 am (included)

01/10/07

Governor Eliot Spitzer

State Capital

Albany, NY 12224

Dear Governor Spitzer,

I realize that it has been just over a week since you took office as our state governor but I feel the time is not too soon to give my voice regarding the issue of Ground Zero. It has been an incredible five years for everyone, but in losing a loved one on September 11th I could never have prepared myself for the issues that continue to surprise and haunt my family and should have the same appalling effect on the average American citizen. In spite of the bizarre issues, probably the most frustrating part of the “treadmill” has been how I, as a “9/11widow”, now have a label and have been misunderstood and misrepresented.

Logically I understand that this goes along with the territory when my husband becomes one of three thousand murders being “processed” by a city, a nation and the world. The unprecedented, horrific event has created issues that no one could have been prepared for and as a result I have had to learn to share my personal tragedy with so many others who have their own agenda. It has been an exhausting task to deal with this challenge.

On a positive note, I do have the advantage of being a part of a 9/11 group of families that has been a source of comfort and strength for me. Plus the advocacy groups have been a tremendous help as I navigate my life since September 11th. At the risk of sounding like an annoying 9/11 family member and living up to the image that has been portrayed, I will continue to express the distress that I feel as a result of the major missed steps that have been taken starting with the first days and weeks after the attack. Issues such as the search and recovery of the victims, the mishandling of old and new remains, the disregard of building codes, the quality of the air, cannot be ignored.

The point now is to move forward with rebuilding Ground Zero. I ask that as you take an active role in this process, that you be attentive to the concerns of the families and try to imagine yourself as someone who lost a family member that day. We are not selfish people looking for pity or trying to exploit and benefit in any regard. We are people who have appreciated the efforts of former Governor Pataki and the measures he took regarding state taxes, the WTC relief fund and preserving the “footprints”, but we have become discouraged as Mayor Bloomberg continues to dismiss our concerns.

Therefore at this fresh start of your administration, I ask that you please be mindful of the concerns of the families. You do not have to “dig deep,” no pun intended, to discover the lies that city agencies seem to be hiding behind. One thing that I will never understand is how the site was not treated as a crime scene and currently why bones that were recently found have not been a priority, while the discovery of a skull in an area close to the site warrants the halting of another construction site. Consider the irony in the fact that the city was praised when the search and recovery was completed ahead of schedule.

Finally my hope is that you will rise above the “finger pointing” as you investigate the past and monitor the future issues surrounding lower Manhattan. I realize that this is a big state with many complex concerns. But New York is called the Empire State for a reason. The rebuilding of downtown needs to be a powerful rebirth, with the hope of educating those who will eventually visit the area. We need to memorialize the victims with respect and dignity without a lingering doubt as to what remains have been left behind and I for one would be like to be able to trust the city with this project the way I once did.

Respectfully Submitted,

Jane Pollicino

25 Randy Lane

Plainview, NY 11803
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Lost Art of Common Sense ( Op Ed ) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: