Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Wed Apr 26
Thu Apr 27
Fri Apr 28
Sat Apr 29
Sun Apr 30
Mon May 01
Tue May 02
DIANE KEEPS ASKING AND THE CITY KEEPS IGNORING HER REQUESTS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Lost Art of Common Sense ( Op Ed )
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: DIANE KEEPS ASKING AND THE CITY KEEPS IGNORING HER REQUESTS
From Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:00 am to Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:59 am (included)

To All,

Below please find a series of correspondences between Diane Horning and Brad Adams Of the Medical Examiner's Office.

This was originally posted on December 5. http://www.where-to-turn.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=33731

Having not gotten any satisfaction from Mr. Adams, I have now added her most recent request to Ellen Borakove.

The first step in the search process is to have a written protocol in place as to how to excavate and handle the recoveries.

We have been asking to see a copy of the current protocol in place at Ground Zero since early September.

As you can see it is now January and our requests have gone unanswered even though the mayor’s rep at last month’s Community Board meeting stated that the protocols had been delivered.

One must assume that there are no protocols in place.

That would also explain the haphazard approach to the search as well as the omission of areas from the search grid.

Add this to the fact that we have not a single identification from nearly 1,000 remains

Again a perfect example of why we cannot trust the city to handle this search on their own.

Put It Above Ground

Bradley Adams, PhD

Forensic Anthropologist

Office of Chief Medical Examiner

520 First Ave.

New York, NY 10016

Dear Mr. Adams,

When we met at the OCME in late September, I asked you for the written policies and protocol of the M.E.'s office and the City for the search for human remains at and near "ground zero." This is not the directive about what will be searched and when, but rather the procedures for the search. How will the search be conducted? Who is the person designing the method of search? Who has the ultimate authority to organize and oversee the actual search? What part do such entities as the DDC, the LMCCC and the Dormitory Commission have in setting these procedures?

When we met with Deputy Mayor Skyler on Oct. 27, I reminded you that you had promised to send out those written documents ASAP. You again indicated they would be sent right out. I have still not received any written documents. These can be sent to my email address at WTCFamiliesforProperBurial@comcast.net or to our PO Box at:

WTC Families for Proper Burial, Inc.

P.O. Box 236

Fanwood, NJ 07076

Thank you for your prompt response.

Sincerely, Diane Horning

----- Original Message -----
To: WTCFamiliesforProperBurial@comcast.net
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:53 AM
Subject: documents

Hi Diane- Ellen passed along your email to me. I am sorry about the delay in response. I just wanted to send you a quick email to touch base and let you that I will definitely follow-up on this and do my best to get you some answers ASAP.

brad

From: WTC Families For Proper Burial [mailto:WTCFamiliesforProperBurial@comcast.net]
Sent: Tue 12/5/2006 10:52 AM
To: Adams, Bradley (OCME)
Subject: Re: documents

Are there any answers yet? Diane

To: WTC Families For Proper Burial
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 8:27 PM
Subject: RE: documents

I have been out of the office a lot recently with the expanded search. I will continue to follow-up. My apologies yet again.

brad

From: WTC Families For Proper Burial [mailto:WTCFamiliesforProperBurial@comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 11:36 AM
To: Borakove, Ellen (OCME)
Cc: Siegelnorman@aol.com; Dennis McKeon; Sally Regenhard
Subject: Re: WTC Recovery Update, Wed., Jan. 3

Dear Ms. Borakove,

Ellen, I appreciate the updates. Thank you for keeping us informed. I am somewhat puzzled about two things and hope that you can answer my questions.

1. Last September I spoke with Brad Adams. He agreed to get a written set of protocols to me about the new search for human remains near the WTC site. I did not request the procedures for IDing based on DNA, etc., but rather the protocol for the actual search for recovering the remains which would then be ID'd. I reminded Brad of my request when I met with him on Oct. 27th. Later, learning that many roof-tops have been declared "clean," and several floors of 130 Liberty Street have been released for demolition, I again asked for these protocols. This time I asked that they be sent with the dates they were devised and the dates of their implementation. I still have not received anything. Can you arrange to have those protocols made available to me? If needed, I can pick them up myself. I will be attending the visit to the facility at 11 Water Street on January 9, 2007. I could accept the documents at that time and place, making it easier for us both. Thank you.

2. Last October, when Con Ed workers found human remains near at the WTC site, comments were made by the OCME that these remains were substantial and in very good condition. The comments indicated that positive ID's would be forthcoming. Have any ID's been made? If not, why not? Remains from 130 Liberty Street yielded some substantial remains among the fragments. One was a scalp with hair on it. Have any ID's been made from those remains? If not, why not? Does the office of the ME need the families to resubmit DNA? Waiting more than five years for ID when we have seen the positive ID made two months ago from a WWI soldier makes us wonder why the ID's of our loved ones has proved so elusive.

Many families are asking these questions. We have tried all the channels we can to get answers, but have not been given responses. We understand the enormity of the tasks, but we cannot understand the lack of transparency about the processes used and the results uncovered. I have requested meeting open to all family members so that we can better understand what is or is not happening. While there was a meeting held for FDNY families, the remaining families have been denied similar access. I am asking that you direct me to the proper sources to make our requests again.

Diane Horning
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Lost Art of Common Sense ( Op Ed ) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: