Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Thu Mar 23
Fri Mar 24
Sat Mar 25
Prom Dress Giveaway ...
Sun Mar 26
Mon Mar 27
Tue Mar 28
Wed Mar 29
CITY COUNCIL.....TERM LIMITS...WHO'S DECISION SHOULD IT BE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Lost Art of Common Sense ( Op Ed )
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: CITY COUNCIL.....TERM LIMITS...WHO'S DECISION SHOULD IT BE?
From Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:00 am to Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:59 am (included)

Did you know that the members of the City Council of New York City are contemplating eliminating the term limit rule? For some unknown reason they seem to have the power to do this without a referendum. These limits were voted on twice by the residents of NYC. It seems to me that the registered voters should be the only ones allowed to change these rules. From time to time our elected officials need to be reminded that they are elected to serve the people who put them in office.

Dennis

Last edited by DMCKEON on Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: 3 CHEERS FOR COUNCIMAN AVELLA Reply with quote

QUEENS COUNCILMEMBER TONY AVELLA

IS FIRST LEGISLATOR TO SPEAK AGAINST
COUNCIL PLAN TO EXTEND THEIR TERMS
IN DEFIANCE OF TWO PUBLIC REFERENDA

By Henry J. Stern
December 1, 2005

Queens Councilmember Tony Avella today became the first elected official to break ranks on the Council leaders' plan to extend their own terms of office in defiance of two public referenda.

In a "Dear Colleague" to the fifty other members, Avella wrote:

"Perhaps I am naive - perhaps I have a very different view of public service, but I find the thought of ignoring the wishes of the citizens of this city by plotting to overturn term limits offensive.

"Twice the voters have indicated their support for two four-year terms for Councilmembers. Their wishes could not have been clearer.

"I have always felt that an elected official should set an example. The worst possible self-interested action the City Council could take is to extend our own jobs by extending term limits."

Councilmember Avella is a Democrat, first elected in 2001. He won a second two year term after redistricting in 2003 and was re-elected in 2005 for a four-year term. He represents the 19th Council District, located in northeast Queens. The district is considered Democratic but moderate; it was carried by Mayor Giuliani and Mayor Bloomberg. The communities it covers include Bayside, College Point, Auburndale, Beechhurst, Whitestone, Bay Terrace, Robinwood and parts of Flushing, Douglaston and Little Neck.

Councilman Avella's decision is welcome news to those who have viewed with disdain the Council's attempt to over-rule the referenda on term limits held in 1993 and 1996. Six of the seven candidates for Speaker have embraced the plan publicly (the seventh is said to support it privately) as a way of ingratiating themselves with their colleagues.

The matter will probably be brought up when the new Council meets in January. Mayor Bloomberg has promised to veto any extension of terms without a referendum. If he does, it will be necessary for the proponents to secure 34 votes from the 51 Councilmembers to over-ride the veto. If that happens, the issue will go the courts, and eventually the Court of Appeals to decide whether, in these circumstances, the Council has the power to over-rule the people in its own interest.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Term Limits Reply with quote

check out this site ... it's all about the term limits issue

http://www.poboss.com

He Said, She Said, He Said, He Said

At Least We Know Where They Stand

Liu, Quinn, Addabbo and Jackson On The Record
New York Sun, June 20, 2005

"Eight years is plenty of time," a council member from Queens, John Liu, said. The Democrat from Flushing said that while he has never been in favor of the concept of term limits, "The voters have already spoken in two referendums."

"We have term limits - they are called elections," another Manhattan council member, Christine Quinn, said. "Some officials stay in government a long time because that is exactly what their constituents want." Ms. Quinn, who is seeking re-election, said she would support both extending and abolishing term limits for council members.

Ms. Quinn, who indicated she was "very comfortable" about extending term limits without a popular vote, does not worry about that criticism.

"I have, since Day 1, always opposed to term limits. This has nothing to do with my term or tenure in government," she said. "I feel very comfortable being judged on my consistent position."

Council Member Joseph Addabbo Jr. of Queens disagreed.

"To change the law now where it benefits me and others, I don't think it would be fair," he said in an interview. "I would love to entertain the idea, but I think ultimately, whether we agree to do it or not, it has to go back to the people in referendum so they can vote."

Another Manhattan council member, Robert Jackson, disagreed about the need to consult the electorate.

"In my opinion, if we can do it ourselves, that's the easiest way to go," he said. "People will probably challenge it, and go through a legal process - that's the way it has been done in the past. The courts will determine it in the end."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Lost Art of Common Sense ( Op Ed ) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: