Where To Turn home page
 CalendarCalendar   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ResourcesResources   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Calendar eventCalendar
Mon Jun 26
Tue Jun 27
Wed Jun 28
Thu Jun 29
Fri Jun 30
Sat Jul 01
Sun Jul 02
PETITION FOR SUPPORT OF BILL H.R. 1861

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCKEON
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: PETITION FOR SUPPORT OF BILL H.R. 1861 Reply with quote

Attached please find a letter I have forwarded to Congressman Fossella. If you agree contact your local Representative and make them know that you need their support in getting this bill passed.

There is also a petition to ask Congress to support H.R. BillL 1861 The Elise & Meghan Agnes Act.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/HR1861/petition.html

We need to make sure that we do everything in our power to avoid such accidents in the future. This bill will definitely help.

Dennis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 12:35 PM
To: 'vito.fossella@mail.house.gov'
Cc: 'RPIERCE66@aol.com'; Kathy Daly; 'Donner, Craig'
Subject: FW: Legislation against furniture tipping over

Dear Congressman Fossella,

Please read the attached. Rich and Darlene are good friends of mine and I know the terrible ordeal that they went through over 3 years ago when they lost their son in a tragic accident involving the toppling of a piece of bedroom furniture. Just recently on Staten Island we had another instance of a child being killed by the tipping over of a television set. As a parent you too know how these types of accidents can easily happen

I hope that we can count on you and the other members of Congress to support this simple but life saving bill.

Thank you in advance for your consideration. With your help we can get this bill passed and maybe prevent future accidents. No parent should have to endure what Rich and Darlene have gone through

Dennis McKeon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 12:24 AM

Subject: Legistlation against furnitre tipping over

Attached and below you will find a letter to my local Congressman regarding legislation that has been presented to the House of Representitives to provide protection against furniture and television tip overs. Another senseless death occured in NJ recently : http://1010wins.com/topstories/local_story_136074409.html

These deaths are preventable! Please help us get this legislation passed. Please write to your local representitive http://www.house.gov/writerep/ Thank you

Rich Pierce

My Letter:

Richard & Darlene Pierce

9 Stratford Terrace

Cranford, NJ 07016

May 16th, 2005

The Honorable Mike Ferguson

214 Cannon

Washington D.C. 20515

Re: Katie Elise & Meghan Agnes Act

H.R.1861

Dear Representative Ferguson,

I am writing you to ask that you co-sponsor H.R. 1861, Katie Elise & Meghan Agnes Act, Which was introduced by Reps. Allyson Schwartz and James McGovern, which would require the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) to issue mandatory safety standards to prevent accidents associated with the tip over of furniture and electronic devices, namely large televisions

I am writing this letter to you on my younger sons 4th birthday. His older brother, Nicholas John Pierce, never made it to his 4th birthday. He died more than 3 years ago when he attempted to climb his dresser. He opened the second drawer and stepped into it. It toppled over on him and he suffocated under its weight.

Just this week, a boy from Caldwell, New Jersey lost his life when a television toppled over onto him. These accidents can be prevented

Please offer your support to the families of Katie & Meghan, who have bravely put there grieving aside and fought to make a difference in other lives. Their courage and strength by putting aide their grief shows how important this legislation is. These tragedies can be avoided, and this legislation can save lives.

H.R. 1861 is simple, common sense legislation that could save children’s lives. It would require any furniture or electronic appliances in jeopardy of tipping bear a warning label alerting consumers to the potential dangers of usecure furniture. In addition, this furniture would be required to come packaged with anchoring devices and simple installation instructions, so it can be safely secured to wall studs.

Despite the frequency of these accidents, there are currently no mandatory safety standards in place. Now is the time to provide consumers with the information they need to ensure their child’s safety in their home.

Thank you in advance for your consideration of my request; I look forward to hearing from you regarding this important legislation

Respectfully,

Richard Pierce

Nicholas’ dad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Where To Turn Forum Index -> Announcements/Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: